Update

African Connection links are now in the sidebar to the right, just below the My Travel section.

Click here to see a La Crosse Tribune article about the mission in Uganda.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Destinations

On July 18, I plan to fly from Indianapolis* to Atlanta to take in a couple of Braves' games and visit with family. The tickets were purchased on April 9. I wonder, have I been pre-boarding since then? I've always wondered about that pre-boarding thing. Another curiosity of airline-speak, one I haven't heard in a while, is the comment from the flight attendant upon landing, "We hope you enjoy your stay here in Chicago, or wherever your final destination may take you." Wherever your final destination may TAKE YOU? I'd always chuckle at that one.

But if you stop to think about, maybe it isn't such a strange thing to say after all. In 2003 my destination was the Dominican Republic. And where did my destination take me? Well, it took me back there five more times. So far. Working with the missionaries, pastors in this place so different from my home in Wisconsin. One of those life altering experiences. Then there was the spring of 2006. Destination? Uganda. Visits to a church and school. And I still wonder where that destination will take me. Back to Uganda in October is part of the plan. But there will be more. Much more.

There was also the trip to the top of the hill ~ the first climb up Bliss Road. The climb I had once thought that if I did it I could hang up my bike. But I found that even that destination was going to take me on. On to long rides with hard climbs and exhilarating descents. On to the tour from Seattle to Missoula. Later this week, to Loveland, Colorado and the Rocky Mountains. And in August, to... the Next Big Ride! Now I'm pretty sure that most of you who read this blog know what that next ride is. But if you don't, you'll just have to wait until after Colorado trip!

For now, here's hoping that you are challenged to great things wherever your next destination may take you.

* Indianapolis? During the week leading up to this trip I will be attending an engineering conference at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. It seemed like a good idea, since I would already be more or less on my way anyway, to just keep keep heading south and enjoy a weekend of baseball at Turner Field.

No comments: