Update

African Connection links are now in the sidebar to the right, just below the My Travel section.

Click here to see a La Crosse Tribune article about the mission in Uganda.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Amenities

The hotel here in Rochester, NY has some fancy amenities. No soap, but they do provide a Soothing Massage Bar. I'm not too impressed. Then there is the Clarifying Shampoo. That one really worked; I washed my hair and afterwards, I could see all the way to my scalp. Amazing. But, disappointment reared up again as I discovered that the Renewing Lotion didn't. Oh well, I guess it was not given much to work with.

It's interesting, in a sort of expensive way, that the higher the price one pays for a hotel room, the more one has to pay for the little "extras." Three dollars for the bottles of water in the room. Two dollars for a not-too-large cup of coffee in the lobby. Some years ago now, I was in Stockholm on a business trip. The moderately (a relative term when Stockholm is involved) priced Sjöfartshotellet where we normally stayed was fully booked. It was suggested by the company we were visiting that we get rooms at a new hotel in the same general area. Upon arrival, we were informed that the rate was around $225. Now this was about 20 years ago when $225 was REAL money. My traveling companion asked, in all seriousness, "Is that for the week?" Nooooo…. We pondered what it was you got for such a princely sum and came to this conclusion: You get to stay in a hotel that people like us do not frequent. So, I guess I should apologize to my fellow guests here at this very nice hotel in Rochester. You know, for being here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, a one star hotel is for shampoo, 2 star for . . . .

Jennifer Heidmann, MD, FACP said...

My kids would get a lot of mileage out of the name Sjofartshotellet (with emphasis on the second syllable). That alone would be worth the admission price for them.
As for me, I do like a nice hotel.